November 2000

MEETING NOTICE The November meeting will be at 2:30 on Sunday, the 19th at the Woodring Airport Terminal.

OCTOBER MEETING was held at Mica and Brenda Doaneís house. We all got to see the progress on the remodeling of their house and enjoy their fine hospitality. The only plane to fly in was Ron Decker and his 172. Mica kept himself and the plane busy all afternoon long giving Young Eagle rides until the much needed rain started.

CHAPTER 455 NOW HAS A WEB PAGE!! For those of you who I donít have emails to, go check it out. Itís just getting started, but my plans are to get pictures of you and your planes/projects, also it would be nice to have an article to go along with it and add a section called Photo Album. Iíll also be adding a link for Chapter Officers. Please help.

FAIRVIEW FLY-IN will be November 11th. Performers are: Greg Shelton-AT-6, Randy Harris-Skybolt, Tom Woods-SU-26 and are very own Ray Gill in his S-1 Pitts. Breakfast and lunch will be served by the Fairview Flight Club. The 10th airplane to fly in will get a turkey.

A.C.E.-------AERO CLUB OF ENID The Aero Club of Enid will meet on the second Sunday each month 2:00 at the Barnstormer Restaurant. Contact Bill Blunk 233-1882 .

Avweb Brainteasers. Operating At Tower-Controlled Airports

The questions is this Brainteaser quiz are based on Chapters 4 and 5 of the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM).

1. You've been cleared by ground control to taxi to RWY 18. You could taxi to the approach end of the 7000' runway, but your taxi route takes you past an intersection that's 1000' prior to the approach end, giving you 6,000' of runway, more than enough for departure in your single-engine aircraft at this sea level airport. Indeed, there's a runup area at that intersection, and you've seen aircraft depart from there in the past. You may:
a. use that runup area and call "ready for departure" from that intersection.
b. not use that runup area and intersection unless you receive an amended clearance from ground control.

2. You have completed your run-up and you are ready for a VFR departure with a right turnout at an intersection (Alpha Two) that is 1,000' from the approach end of RWY 18. You tune in the tower frequency and find the tower extremely busy. When there's an opening on frequency to transmit, you should tell the tower:
a. "Smalltown Tower, Bugsmasher 1234 Foxtrot, ready for takeoff."
b. "Smalltown Tower, Bugsmasher 1234 Foxtrot, ready runway 18, request right turnout."
c. "Smalltown Tower, Bugsmasher 1234 Foxtrot, ready runway 18 at Alpha Two, request right turnout."

3. You would like to know more about ATC procedures and would like to visit the control tower of a local airport.
a. Forget it. Only FAA and certain other U.S. Government employees are allowed into an FAA control tower. Better write a letter.
b. It's doable, but you must fill out a copy of FAA Form 90-14.3 ("Request to Visit ATC Facility") and submit at least ten working days prior to the date you want to visit. You will then receive a written appointment confirmation which you must bring with you in order to gain entry to the control tower.
c. Sure! The FAA encourages pilots to visit air traffic control facilities and familiarize themselves with the ATC system. However, it's a good idea to phone first to make sure they're not too busy to accomodate your visit.

4. You are approaching a controlled airport for the purpose of landing. Prior to contacting the tower, you tune in the ATIS (Automatic Terminal Information Service), and hear the wind velocity and altimeter setting, but do not hear any information regarding clouds or visibility. This means that:
a. the airport has weather conditions below VFR minimums, and you must obtain either an IFR or special VFR clearance in order to land at the airport.
b. the ceiling is greater than 5000' and the visibility is greater than 5 miles.
c. the tower does not have the equipment necessary to measure ceiling and visibility.


5. You have been cleared to "taxi into position and hold" on runway 24, and you have acknowledged and complied with that instruction. Your request for a right turnout has been approved. When you are cleared for takeoff you should respond as follows:
a. Just do it. There's no need for you to reply to ATC, since the controller can see you begin your takeoff roll.
b. "Bugsmasher 1234 Foxtrot."
c. "Bugsmasher 1234 Foxtrot, roger."
d. "Bugsmasher 1234 Foxtrot, cleared for takeoff with a right turnout."

6. You are south of, and inbound to, a controlled airport that has parallel runways 36L and 36R. ATC tells you that you are "cleared to land, runway 36." Your action should be to:
a. land on either runway 36L or 36R, your choice.
b. acknowledge receipt of the landing clearance, and then land on either runway 36L or 36R, your choice.
c. query ATC regarding which is your assigned runway.

7. You are on final approach and have been told by ATC to follow another aircraft. You believe that you will not have sufficient separation to land. Without further ATC clearance you may:
a. make shallow "S" turns.
b. make a 360 degree turn.
c. land on another runway.
d. None of the above.

8. You have executed one of your usual "squeaker" landings and have slowed to normal taxi speed. While still on the runway, you see a taxiway exit on your left, but have not received any ATC instruction to exit the runway. You should:
a. exit the runway without delay.
b. slow down or stop and ask ATC where you should exit the runway.
c. continue to taxi on the runway until ATC tells you where to exit.
d. None of the above.

9. You have been calling a local control tower for several minutes without receiving a reply. Indeed, you have heard no other aircraft on the frequency. The first thing you should do is:
a. squawk 7600 and continue inbound to the airport.
b. divert to a non-controlled airport.
c. fly over the airport above traffic pattern altitude and watch for light gun signals.
d. check for a stuck microphone button.
e. a & c.




10. The tower replies to your transmission by saying, "Aircraft calling tower, carrier only, no voice." You should:
a. squawk 7600 and continue inbound to the airport.
b. divert to a non-controlled airport.
c. fly over the airport above traffic pattern altitude and watch for light gun signals.
d. check that your microphone plug is correctly seated in the jack.
e. a & c.


ANSWERS: 1. B 2.C 3.C 4. B 5.C 6.C 7.A 8.A 9. D 10.D





The Nelsons have asked me to write an article on My relationship with N5744E, The 1959 Cessna 150 I just sold after 4 years and almost 600 hours of flight.

In 1995, I had decided that I needed (wanted) to buy an airplane. I had been renting and flying with friends but I really decided that it was time to buy. I read every article that I could find and spoke to many people about what plane to look for in my price bracket. I created a list of what I "needed" and what I wanted in a plane. The dream list was: 4 seats, 150 MPH, IFR ready, STOL, ETC and of course, Cheap to fly. The real list was: 2 seats, about 100 mph cruise, 300 mile range, good solid VFR, and cheap to buy and fly (Something that I could afford to fly at the end of the month when all I had was pocket change, was important.) When I figured out what I could afford, it helped me focus on what I would need in an airplane. Using this list, I created a list of planes that would fit what I wanted and could afford.

Then I started shopping. I would find a plane and go take a look. If it looked OK, I would contact Lonnie Gillespie and we would fly out in Skeeter (Ď47 Champ) and look the plane over. I got really tired of ads that would say, "8 in and 9 Out." When you saw the plane the tires were flat, weeds were growing up around the wings and rats had lived in the plane for generations. We looked at a lot of junk. But that was my learning curve on airplanes. (Ask Lonnie about the Tripacer that flat scared the dickens out of us. We passed on that one.) I learned how to at least look at the books, the plane, and some sure signs that something was wrong. I shopped for almost 10 months and on a trip to visit my grandmother in the Texas Panhandle, I saw an ad for N5744E, a 1959 Cessna 150, at the Borger, Texas airport. It was based at Tradewinds (TDW) Amarillo, Texas. I called the owner and set up a date to go and look the bird over. I looked the plane over and she was very clean and showed evidence of being taken care of. True, the engine was high time, but the price reflected that. I noticed that the maintenance was done by a A&P/IA that I knew. He is based out of 1E7, Buffalo Airport, Amarillo, (almost 5000 feet of Wide, lit grass runway.) I called him up and asked him his opinion about N5744E. He said that "it is nothing but a very straight, clean and original 1959 150. Yes, the engine is high time but it is strong and O-200s are very tough." (he did point out that he would not and could not "guarantee" anything about the engine or airframe) He thought it was a very good plane. Based on this, I went for a demo flight with the owner, A preacher. The little plane took off smoothly and was about the best flying 150 I had ever been in. About 15 minutes into the flight I had decided to buy the plane. After a smooth landing, I shook hands with the owner and agreed to buy the plane.

I went back to Amarillo about two weeks later and bought the plane. I did a good preflight and started for WDG. I was very happy but I was also nervous. I was now flying "my" plane home. I flew from TDW to PPA (Pampa) and landed to get out and check things. So far, so good. I then headed toward WDG, Enid. Then my nerves took control. "Does the oil always read there?" "Is the engine surging?" "Is something wrong with the Trim Tab?" Then the left fuel gauge went to empty. I thought, "this is just great! It is only feeding from the left tank. I am going to crash, out of fuel on my first trip in my plane." I landed at Fairview to check the gas. There was no one there and I looked around for something to stand on to check the gas. Nothing, There is nothing to stand on to check your fuel at the Fairview airport. I only had my briefcase and decided to stand on it. I did get up and got the gas checked, just as I got the gas cap back on I fell off of the briefcase and busted my tail. (the Fuel was OK.) I got home quickly, soon found a hanger and settled in.

I really learned to fly in N5744E. Sure, I got my private ticket and had flown about 100 hours total but I really learned about flying from this pretty little 150. Yes, I made many mistakes, Flying into Bad weather, Poor flight planning, overloading the plane, and so on. N5744E would let me know when I had made a mistake and I would learn from that. The plane was very forgiving and taught me a lot. Now, I was a plane owner, I could go flying on pretty days without waiting in line for a rental plane or hurting my wallet. I am sorry but paying about $40 per hour for a 150 is not easy for this cheapskate. (It is different when you have already bought the plane, paid for insurance and bought oil. You have paid the bills up front and then all you have to do is put gas in the thing and go fly.) Cost wise, I was able to keep the cost of flying down with much help. I learned to do everything that an owner is allowed to do. I had Lonnie to help me with mechanizing and the Local IAs and A&Ps were very good about letting me open up the plane and they would supervise my work on the plane while I did maintenance and the first annual. Boy, did I learn a lot! In 1998, I kept every receipt for everything that I spent on the plane. And I mean everything; receipts for tiedowns, gas, hanger rent, insurance, oil, soap, wax, sectionals, two new tires, Annual, and so on. Even after I set aside an additional $2 per hour to cover anything I forgot, it cost me only $18 per year to fly. I did fly about 200 hours that year! Also, at the end of the month, I could get $8 in change and go buy gas for an hour flight. That was important almost every month

Having N5744E has allowed me to participate in many things. I was able to take part in our EAA chapter's Young Eagles Flights. I took many "older" Eagles up flying and at least gave them a positive feeling about small planes and got some interested in learning to fly. All of my Grandkids and many of their friends have taken flights in the little white and red plane. I have flown formation with Lonnie in Skeeter, Roy in his Stearman, Warren in his 152, Mike in his 172, Don in his Mooney, and even Ray in his Pitts.

I got really lost leaving Alliance airport at Fort Worth. I was trusting an old LORAN that came with the plane and I really got me screwed up. Once I found myself I Flew to Quanah, Texas (I was coming to Enid, Yes, I was that lost.) I turned the LORAN off and flew straight home using a map and compass. (Ask me sometime, it is a funny story.)
Iím asking Steve!!

I took many trips by myself and later with my wife, Diane. We flew to Hobbs, NM over 2 dozen times, Amarillo over 30 times, Lubbock more than that and many other trips. I have made several special trips that stand out in my mind. Diane and I flew to Hot Springs for our honeymoon. If you ever want to go someplace to get away and relax, go to Hot Springs and take the baths. On a long, but fun two-day trip to Houston I was "shot down" by a P51 from the Texas Museum of Flight. I tried to fly to Colorado for a friends but was stopped by the weather and had a really good time learning my GPS and doing touch and goes at every airport on the way back from Liberal to Enid.

By the way "How much can you spend on a 150?" Well, I learned a lot by simply getting out a Wag-Aero catalog and adding up everything that I would like to put on my 150. It was easy to spend more than I bought the plane for.

When we got married two year ago, Diane and I discussed what we wanted in life and on the list was to step up to a bigger plane than the Cessna. Believe it or not, it was her idea. She likes flying for what it does for our time. Without the Cessna she would not have seen her Grandmother over 20 times in the last two years of her life. Diane, wanted a plane that would carry 4 and go faster. I was not hard to convince. We quickly settled on an early Bonanza (thanks to Lonnie, Becker, Dale, and some others.) With the Decision to get a larger plane came the decision to sell the Cessna. I put ads on the Internet, put up flyers in Airports, and I put the plane in Trade-A-Plane. I was run over by Tire Kickers. I got really tired of people telling me that they found one "just like this." but for only $8000. When they were questioned, it turned out that this $8000 plane was flipped and needed much work or had not flown for 3 years. I actually had one guy agree to buy the plane, I pulled the Trade-a-plane ad, and then he called me back to try to talk me down $3000 and would I finance. I wouldn't and he backed out. I did have several serious lookers and it was nice to deal with them rather than tire kickers. Many were looking for a 172 at 150 prices.


I did have one individual who was looking at the plane for several months. He decided to learn to fly and was working on getting the money together and getting his wife to agree. He finally began learning to fly last month and he decided to buy a plane to learn in and build hours. His wife wanted a four-seater until he explained the difference in price from a 150 to a four-seater. She agreed that the 150 was better for them. He had looked at quite a few planes and he knew my plane. He sent me an Email that he was interested and I told him about the plane and my price. He has known me and my Cessna for 3 years. (We were in the National Guard together.) Indeed, I took him flying as a "older" eagle. I took him up and let him take the controls and got him hooked on flight. He had flown before but it had been a while and I let him take the controls. He has also been plane shopping and looked at a lot of junk and the ones that he could afford and liked often sold fast. He decided that N5744E was for him and I agreed to fly out and deliver the plane.


The flight was planned so that I could get from WDG, Enid, to ELP, El Paso, Texas between weather systems. I took off from Enid this last Sunday morning and talk about headwinds. My handheld GPS told me that I was only getting 40 MPH groundspeed at times. But it got better as I flew west. By the time I was in the Texas Panhandle, the headwind was down to about 15 mph. I landed in a strong crosswind at Q06 (Tulia, Texas) and the Lineman came out on a Sunday and cheerfully sold me fuel with only a 20-Minute turnaround. The cross-wind was still strong but steady. I took off and headed for Artisia Springs, (ATS) New Mexico. As I flew west, the winds continued to dropoff and soon became calm. It made for a smooth and pretty trip. The landing was very smooth as there was no wind. Again, I had a quick refuel and I quickly wiped the plane down and cleaned the windows. (After all, I was selling the plane to a friend and I wanted him to be happy with the plane.) Then I could not get his phone number to work so that he could meet me at the Airport in El Paso. I finally called home only to find out that the culprit was my horrible handwriting. I wrote a 6 as almost a 0. I coordinated with the next owner and got ready to leave. Take off was uneventful and I was soon cruising across Southeastern New Mexico on my way to El Paso. I was impressed with the beauty of the area and the fact that there are few options in case of an emergency landing. I also decided that my flight plan of 8,500 was OK but 10,500 would be better due to the terrain and I did not relish crossing 7600 ft mountains with less than 1000 ft. to spare. Yes, I am a coward, but I plan on dying of old age and not by hitting "Granite Cumulus." The approach to El Paso was really easy and the tower there was very easy to work with, (not always true in a slow airplane.) It was dark for landing and the tower directed me to Cutter Aviation to meet my buddy. (I did get a little lost but the tower helped get me to the right place.) The next owner met me and seemed happy to see the plane in such good shape (as did his wife.)


The next day we went out and went through the plane. His instructor took a look at the plane and she came with a chip on her shoulder. (She teaches in a Warrior and wants him to continue to train with her in her Piper.) She walked out and with a cursory look, told me the flap rollers were worn out, the transponder had an AD and some other things that she knew nothing about. I had to remind myself that I was not selling the plane to her but to him. I knew that he was buying a 41 year old airplane with a high time engine and the price reflected that. We took a flight and he really liked the way it flew. Of course, it did not accelerate or climb like a 180 horse Warrior but it flew well and he really liked it. (Incidentally he did a good job at flying, for a guy with 4 hours.) I landed and we parked. I cleaned the plane out and we shook hands and I gave him the keys. It felt really strange to walk away from a plane that I have flown about 600 hours and know that I would not be able to fly N5744E to Ponca City or go do touch and goes with Cass or any of my friends. We went back to his house and after some discussion, I signed the Bill of Sale and he gave me the check. The next day I flew American to DFW and Big Sky to WDG, Enid. Good flights both. (By the way, on Big Sky you can ask to set up front you can listen to the pilots as you fly out of DFW and use ground, Departure, Tower and flight service. I learned a lot by doing this.) While I am really glad that he bought/got my plane and I can now focus on getting my V-tail flying, I will miss N5744E and all of the good times I had in her. Selling N5744E has lit the fire under me to finish my V-tail and I really hope that the new owner and his family enjoys her the same way I have.

By the way, I will be looking for a ride to the Fairview Fly-in the 11th. I just sold my ride.

Blue Skies,
Steve Dortch
1948 V tail Bonanza in restoration